When I wake up on Thanksgiving morning there’s one smell I know to expect. No, I’m not thinking of the turkey. It’s mom’s famous orange rolls. And then again on Easter…mom’s famous orange rolls. I’m calling them famous because they are the hottest item on the table at any big family meal, and I’m not talking about temperature. They’re pretty fantastic. So today I’m going to give you mom’s orange rolls recipe.
But guess what? I’m not just giving you that. Some of my lovely blogging friends are going to help me complete this meal for you. It’s a blogging Progressive Dinner. You’ll get a different course at each blog you go to! And there’s an AMAZING giveaway at the bottom!
Let’s start out with Orange Rolls recipe and go from there.
Mom’s Famous Orange Rolls Recipe:
You need to know before you start this that you begin making it the night before. So plan ahead.
Make the dough according to the recipe (below).
Two and a half hours before you plan to serve the rolls roll them out in one big oval on your counter (use lots of flour so it doesn’t stick).
Make your filling (recipe below). Spread your filling onto the dough:
Now roll that dough into a big long log: (this picture is a double batch, that’s why the log is doubled over)
Slice the log into 24 slices:
Make sure to grease your muffin tins REALLY well. The place 1 slice in each hole in your muffin tin.
Now bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. You’re going to love them!
Here’s the actual recipe:
- 1 pkg yeast (2¼ tsp)
- ¼ C sugar
- ½ C hot water
- ½ C cold water
- ¼ C shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 C flour
- For the Filling:
- ½ C sugar
- 1 stick Land O Lakes Margarine
- ½ grated orange peel and the juice from the orange
- Heat shortening, sugar, salt and hot water in a small pan on the stove.
- Heat until shortening is melted.
- Let that mixture cool a little.
- Combine egg and cold water.
- Mix yeast and the other two mixtures together.
- Add flour.
- Mix well in a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll out dough 2½ hours before serving.
- Spread orange filling (see recipe below) on the dough.
- Roll the dough into a log.
- Cut 24 slices from the log.
- Put into *very* well greased muffin tins.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- For the Filling:
- Soften the margarine ahead of time.
- Mix in a bowl with a fork.
- Spread on the dough.
(Need a great product for your margarine in the filling? Try these Land O Lakes® Butter Half Sticks)
But you don’t just want rolls for dinner do you? Head over to check out these other great dishes at our Progressive Dinner Party:
And then, be sure to check out this fabulous giveaway sponsored by Land O Lakes, Dream Farm and Le Creuset
Here’s what we’re giving away:
From Land O Lakes® ($150 value)
· One full-value coupon for Land O Lakes® Butter in Half Sticks
· One half stick butter dish
· One serving bowl
· One set measuring spoons
· Four dinner plates
From Le Creuset: $349 value
5 Piece Cast Iron Set
From Dreamfarm: $148 value