What’s the Project? Make these easy baby burp cloths from cloth diapers for a wonderful baby gift! Easy to sew and something the new mom will love.
This was one of the first posts ever to appear on Crazy Little Projects and it’s time to bring it back to life. This isn’t some ingenious idea or anything super fancy to make.
It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s cheap, but it makes a really great baby gift and they are very handy to have around. Plus, it’s a great beginner sewing project and I know how you guys like those!
Easy Baby Burp Cloths made from cloth diapers. Perfect for any baby gift you need.
The beauty of this is that they can be for boys or for girls, you can use fabric that fits the personality of whoever you are giving it too and you can package them up all cute.
Here’s a peek at the original picture from the post here. Also a cute option:
Easy Baby Burp Cloths
- Cloth Diapers Important: pre-wash the diapers because they do shrink. Then iron them nice and flat again. I bought my cloth diapers at Target.
- Fabric to sew onto the diapers
- I usually leave about 3 or 4 inches of the white diaper showing on either side of the fabric with the fabric centered down the middle of the diaper.
- Now you need a piece of cute fabric to fit the diaper. Make it about an inch longer than the diaper and about two inches wider than you want it to be when you are done.
- Measurements of your fabric should be about 21″ x 11.5″ but it varies a little depending on the diapers you buy, so measure your diapers to be sure.
- Fold under the side edges of your fabric about 1/2 inch and iron them to make a clean edge. Fold it under another half inch and press again.
- For the top and bottom, fold the fabric under about 1/2 inch on one end and press in place. Then place this at one of the short ends of your diaper and use this to measure how long it needs to be and where to fold in the fabric on the other end. Ideally it will match up exactly with the end of the diaper.
- Pin the fabric to the diaper so that it is centered from side to side and matches up with the end of the diaper the long way. Then, start in one corner and sew a basic rectangle all the way around.
- I like to do 2-3 in a matching set. Tie it with a cute ribbon and bam! You have an adorable baby gift. Each one costs just a little over $1, so a set of 3 will cost less than $5.
You know what would be really fun? Pair it with this diaper and wipes carrier to make a PERFECT baby gift set!
You Might Also Like: