What’s the Project? If you’re looking for the best Hawaiian Luau party ideas, you’re going to love these! Great Hawaiian party food, luau party decorations, luau party games, and more great ideas for your fun Hawaiian themed party that are easy to pull off. Pick and choose what works for you to throw the best party ever!
Every year my husband and I throw a fun couples’ party full of food, games, friends, and fun. (Well to tell you the full truth, we play a speed version of the kid’s game, Cootie. Sounds crazy, but it’s insanely fun!)
And each year this party has a fun theme. We’ve done Superheroes and Star Wars, Frozen and Hunger Games.
But this year the theme was a Hawaiian Luau party and today you get a peek at the party and a whole bunch of Hawaiian Luau party ideas that you can use for your own Hawaiian theme party!
Seriously-Hawaiian stuff is just fun, isn’t it? It’s bright, it’s colorful and it makes me want to sit on the beach. Or throw another party.
We had a lot of fun with this one. Add fun food ideas and fun games and also some great Hawaiian party decorations and you’ve got a great party. It turned out great!
And you know what that means? I am ready to share tons of fun Hawaiian luau party ideas with YOU today so you can throw a fun bash too!
Hawaiian Theme Party Ideas:
I’m ready to break it down for you so that you can throw a Hawaiian theme party too! These Hawaiian Luau party ideas made for a really great party for us and they really weren’t hard to pull together at all. The thing about a fun luau is that the colors and bright and make it easy to make a beautiful spread!
Hawaiian Luau Party Decorations:
We started out with a fun Hawaiian table spread. It was so easy to put this together because of all of the fun pieces. Here’s a peek:
I used a couple of fun decorations from Oriental Trading to create this table spread. We threw a white tablecloth on our table and then added the following:
- Rafia Flowered Table Skirt (on the table and behind)
- Palm Tree Cutouts on either side of the table
- Aloha Tent Letters
- Pineapple Centerpieces
- Sprinkles of Mini Bright Flower Petals
And then when we added all the food in it was a perfect spread. Super easy to pull these Hawaiian Luau party decorations together and make the luau look great.
Hawaiian Luau Party Food:
We ordered Hawaiian party food from a local caterer for our dinner and then added in these fun touches.
Coconut Hawaiian Cupcakes:
These little Hawaiian cupcakes added a perfect touch of color to our tables, they look SO fantastic, and…they are coconut flavored which is perfection. Want to make these?
Here’s a recipe for you to use.
- 1 devil's food cake mix
- 1 5.9 oz. package of chocolate pudding
- 1/2 C warm water
- 1 C vegetable oil
- 1 C sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine above ingredients. The batter will be pretty thick.
- Scoop into 24 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes. (18 is perfect in my oven.) You want them just done. They should bounce back when you touch the top but don't overcook.
- Set aside to cool. Then top with frosting (recipe below).
Coconut Buttercream Frosting
- 3 sticks softened butter
- 4-6 C powdered sugar
- 1/3 C milk
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- Beat all of the ingredients together and test the consistency. Add more powdered sugar if it's too runny, more milk if it's too thick. You want it to be able to be easily piped but still to have enough stiffness to hold its shape.
Coconut Muddy Buddies Recipe:
As long as we’re talking about coconut (because it makes a perfect Hawaiian party food), here’s a fantastic option for your party! We had coconut muddy buddies in these cute Hawaiian cups and topped with a cute little paper umbrella.
Super cute and super easy to make! We’ve got a recipe for the coconut muddy buddies right here for you.
We’re not done with luau party food yet! We also made these fun pineapple trifles-and not only do they taste like pineapple, they LOOK like pineapples too. Fun right?
These were a HUGE hit with the guests too. And they’re easy to make. Here’s how.
Pineapple Hawaiian Parfaits
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 2 8 oz. packages of softened cream cheese
- 2 1/2 C milk
- 2 5.9 oz. vanilla pudding mixes
- 16 oz. Cool Whip
- 2 cans crushed pineapple
- 1 bag shredded coconut
- clear plastic cups
- Bake the yellow cake as directed. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix two packages of 8 oz cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups milk until smooth.
- Then add 1 cup milk and two large vanilla instant puddings, mix well and fold in a 16 oz cool whip.
- Now, cut your cake into bite sized pieces and then you’ll want to layer the following in your plastic cups.
- Yellow cake pieces, large spoonful of creamy mixture, spoonful of crushed pineapple, sprinkle of coconut, and then repeat once.
- Note: The size of your cups will determine how many of these you can make with this recipe, but it should be around 16.
And of course, we needed to have Shave Ice at a Hawaiian party!
The cute plastic Luau party cups made it all the more fun and then we also had sweetened condensed milk to top them. Super easy and fun!
Hawaiian Luau Games:
We played three goofy luau games at this party that should be easy for you to recreate if you would like to.
Build a Volcano:
To play this you will need:
- Plastic cups
- Rubber bands
- String or yarn or ribbon
Attach 4 pieces of yarn or ribbon to the string:
Have 4 players on each team. Each grabs one piece of string. The object is to stack the cups into a pyramid without touching them with anything but the rubber band.
Each player pulls out on the string to open the rubber band, lowers it over the cup as a team and then releases so that the rubber band is tight around the cup. They can then raise the cup and move it to the stack. You can play this all at a table or you can make them run across the room to do this.
The first team to successfully complete their “volcano” wins!
Luau Party Game-Lei Toss:
Have each player find a partner. Then have partners stand across from each other about 5-6 feet apart. Mark the playing area with two lines that they have to stay behind.
Time the group for 1 minute. One partner will begin tossing leis at the other:
Who will try to catch it around their neck with no hands.
The team with the most leis at the end of one minute wins!
Luau Party Game-Make a Lei:
Have the players find a partner again. Give each team a needle and yarn and a pile of these Mini Bright Flower Petals.
Each player can only use 1 hand (so 2 hands total for each team) and must string as many flowers onto their string in one minute as possible. Be sure to clarify ahead of time that the flowers must be on the STRING, not just the needle in order to count.
The team with the most flowers wins!
We really had a total blast with these Hawaiian Luau party ideas. The food was great, the games were fun and the party looked fantastic! We hope that you will love the Luau party games, Hawaiian theme party food, and the great luau party decorations.
Hope you have a blast!
You Might Also Like: