What’s the Project? This easy to make DIY Makeup Bag is perfect for travel, storage at home, as a gift or for any reason that you want a great cosmetic bag pattern. Easy to follow sewing instructions will have you making this little bag in under an hour.
Who doesn’t love a handy little bag? They’re fun to make (and easy!) and they’re handy to have around.
Stuff this little makeup bag full of cosmetics or any other little trinkets that you need to tote. It would make a fun gift too-fill it with cute things and give it to a friend! Here’s a simple makeup bag tutorial:
How cute and fun is that? It’ll only take you maybe twenty minutes to make!
Let’s do it! Let’s sew this cute DIY Makeup bag!
Cosmetic Bag Pattern
- 1/4 yard each of 2 coordinating fabrics You will have leftover fabric
- 9 inch zipper You can use bigger if you want a bigger bag.
- Cut 2 pieces that are 9 1/2 inches by 6 inches from main fabric.
- Cut 2 pieces that are 9 1/2 inches by 4 inches from coordinating fabric.
- Cut 2 pieces that are 9 1/2 inches by 10 inches from either fabric (for inside).
- Grab your piece that is 9 1/2 by 6 and your piece that is 9 1/2 by 4 and sew them together along the long side.
- Do this with both pieces so that you have two larger pieces and press open.
- Now grab your zipper and place it face down at the top of your piece that you just created. Place one of your inner pieces (9 1/2 by 10) on top face down so that right sides are facing each other. Pin in place.
- This is what it will look like from the inside.
- Sew along that. You can see in the pictures that I have to zipper pull halfway down. You will want to knot your fabric remove it, move your zipper pull out of the way and continue sewing.
- Now do this to the other two pieces of fabric on the other side of the zipper.
- Make sure your zipper is about halfway open.
- Place the fabrics so that the two inner are facing each other and the two outer are facing each other like this (zipper is in the middle).
- Starting at the bottom of the inner fabric, sew all the way around this rectangle being careful when you sew over the zipper (don’t hit the zipper part with your needle!) leaving a 3 inch opening at the center of the inner fabric.
- Now you need to make box corners. I have a whole tutorial on how to do them here if you are not familiar with them. But here’s the basics. Fold a corner so that the seam is in the center and stitch across the triangle about an inch in. Then snip off that corner. Do this on all 4 corners.
- Now, start turning things right side out. Sew the opening closed and then tuck the inner pouch into the outer and press everything nice and neat and you are DONE!
Enjoy this fun DIY Makeup Bag!
You Might Also Like: