What’s the Project? This kid’s messenger bag sewing pattern is perfect for little girls to carry and they could even sew it themselves or you can make it for them! An easy sewing pattern that turns out so cute! A perfect sewing project for beginners.
This is my very first post that was ever posted to Crazy Little Projects and to be honest, I totally love it! It’s been popular since the beginning but I wanted to update it with some new images and a slightly different way to make it! I am pretty excited to bring this one back to life because it is a very easy sewing project that turns out great and I know you are going to love it.
It’s a Mini Messenger Bag that’s perfect for kids to carry and could even be perfect for them to sew if they want to learn! Or it’s great if you just want a small bag to carry a few things. A great beginner sewing project.
(If you’re looking for a bigger messenger bag sewing pattern, I’ve got a couple of others:
But here’s the mini kid’s version.
It’s just right to hold just a handful of things. Keys, wallet, phone, you know.
And just for old time’s sake, here’s the original version that I am now updating:
Mini Messenger Bag Pattern:
First, here are the pattern pieces you will need to print and cut:
Mini Messenger Bag Pattern
- 1/3 yard fabric #1 If using a directional fabric, you'll need 1/2 yard instead of 1/3 yard
- 1/3 yard fabric #2 If using a directional fabric, you'll need 1/2 yard instead of 1/3 yard
- Mini Messenger Bag Pattern Pieces (see above)
- *Note, there are two videos below this post that can also help. There are 3 pattern pieces to print and cut out from the pattern-the Front, Back, and Flap. Find the pattern pieces above.
- Cut out your fabric pieces by folding your fabric and then placing your pattern pieces with the straight edge on the fold. Cut one front piece and one back with flap from each fabric. You should now have 4 pieces cut out.
- Now you need to cut out a strap too. Cut a piece from each fabric that is 3 inches wide by about 38 inches long. You should now have 6 pieces of fabric to work with.
- Using your other pieces, put right sides together on matching fabrics and sew around the edges of the front part on the three outer edges. Do this step with both of your fabrics.
- Turn your inner piece right side out and stuff it down into your outer piece. Get your strap and place it between the two layers. Match up the corners of the two layer and slide the strap in so that the end is poking out. Make sure that the strap is not twisted inside and do this on both sides of the bag.
- Match up the sides of the bag and the flap and get everything all pinned together.
- Now you are going to sew around the bag starting at the top, down the side, across the center piece (only catching the front pieces) and up the other side making sure to leave a 3-4 inch opening at the top to turn it.
- Now, turn everything right side out and tuck the inner part into the outer. Press the opening closed and top stitch around the same part that you just sewed. This will close your opening and make everything look nice.
- Now press the whole bag and you are set!
Kid’s Messenger Bag Video Tutorials:
I hope you loved this mini messenger bag pattern!