What’s the Project? This easy tote bag pattern is super simple to sew and turns out so cute. A roomy pocket on the outside, two straps, and a big tote bag opening makes this a simple bag to carry all your things in. You’re going to love it!
Everyone needs a great tote bag to carry, don’t they?
A year or two ago I made a fun and easy tote bag pattern because my friend needed a bag for carrying her church stuff. I made her the bag, took pictures of the process, and put the pattern on this site.
And it’s ended up being one of the most popular posts on Crazy Little Projects! So when her sister asked for a church bag too, I decided I could make her one and blog it too. Because this one has a little twist. It’s very similar to the original, but it’s got an outer pocket. Super handy!
So, here you go-the Easy Tote Bag Pattern-enhanced with a pocket.
Cute right? And you can make it in any fabric so it could be good for anyone!
And when I say easy, I do mean easy. (Although I did make my fair share of mistakes and have to use the seam ripper more than I should have.)
Let’s make this easy tote bag pattern.
Easy Tote Bag Pattern
- 1/2 yard fabric for the inside of the bag
- 1/2 yard fabric for making the pocket
- 2/3 yard main fabric I used canvas fabric
- 1/4 yard fusible fleece
- First cut your main fabric (on my bag it's the blue striped fabric). Cut 2 pieces that are 17 inches wide by 19 inches long and 2 strap pieces that are 31 inches by 4 inches.
- Next cut fabric for the inside of your bag. Cut 2 pieces that are 17 inches wide by 19 inches long.
- Next cut the fabric for your pocket. On my bag, it's the fabric with a floral print. Cut 1 piece that is 17 inches wide by 22 inches long.
- Next, cut your fusible fleece. Cut 2 pieces that match your strap pieces.
- Iron your fusible fleece to the back of your strap pieces.
- Fold the straps in half lengthwise and sew up the long side leaving the two ends open. Turn the right side out (this can be a little tricky-be patient) and iron them flat so that the seam is in the center of the back.
- Take your inner fabric and place with with right sides together and sew around two sides and the bottom.
- Fold your pocket fabric in half so that it is 17 inches wide by 11 inches long. Place the outer fabrics together with right sides together. The pocket needs to go between these two fabrics. Sew down the side, across the bottom and back up the other side.
- Now you are going to give each of your bag pieces box corners. To do this, hold your corners like this and sew across the tip about 1.5 inches down from the top corner.
- Then snip it off.
- Do this to all four corners. But you’ll need to be careful with the pocket and make sure it stays on one side of the bag and doesn’t get caught in the box corners in a weird way. I had to do a little seam popping to get it where I wanted.
- turn your inner bag right side out and leave your outer bag inside out. Slide them together. Slip your straps down between the two layers and pin it in place. Make sure that it isn’t twisted inside and make sure that the side with the seam is facing the inner part of the bag.
- Starting between two of the straps, sew all the way around the top leaving 3-4 inches between the straps to turn the bag right side out. Turn it right side out and press it flat. The corners should look like the photo:
- And you’re all set! Pack it up and head out!
So cute right? Love this easy tote bag pattern!
You Might Also Like: