Zippered Pencil Bag Pattern

Sometimes people think I am a “professional seamstress” or at least an experienced sewer. Yes-I have done a lot of sewing, but most of it is self taught and none of it is professional. So, I had never tried making a zippered pouch before this and was honestly a little nervous to try. Guess what?! This is the easiest thing to make and I LOVE how mine turned out!

Easy Pencil Case Pattern and Tutorial

Zippered Pencil Bag Tutorial

So much fun and a perfect project for our Learn to Sew Series for Kids.

Really you could make it any size-it could be a coin purse, a makeup bag, whatever you want.

Zippered Pencil Bag Pattern:

2 Fabrics (small amounts-scraps or fat quarters will do)

Zipper (I recommend a 9 inch if you are making a pencil bag. If you are making something else, pick a zipper that fits what you are making)

Grab your zipper and lay it out in front of you. You are going to want to cut your fabric to the length of your zipper. So, if you have a 9 inch zipper, cut your fabric 9 inches long. My pencil bag is 9″ x 5.” So, cut 4 pieces of fabric that are the length of your zipper by 5 inches (or whatever size you want your bag to be). This will be 2 pieces of your main fabric and 2 pieces of your inner fabric.

With your zipper laying in front of you, take 1 piece of your main fabric and 1 piece of your inner fabric and lay them on the zipper so that right sides are together and the zipper is sandwiched in the middle. In this picture the zipper is wedged in between the two layers of fabric and pinned along the top. (Be careful if you are using directional fabric that you lay it so that it will be right side up when you finish.

Zipperpouchpattern

Here’s what it looks like from the inside or your pinned pieces:

Addingazippertoabag

Sew a straight stitch along that. When you get to where your zipper pull is, stop sewing, back stitch and remove the fabric. Move your zipper pull out of the way and then begin sewing again where you left off.

Do this to both sides of the zipper.

When you are finished it will look like this. You will need to iron it to get it nice and flat:

howtomakeazipperpouch

Here’s the underside:

Zipperpencilbag

Open your zipper half way:

Zipperedpouch

Now, to sew it all together you are going to lay it so that your outer fabric goes one direction and your inner goes the other, making sure that the zipper pull and tabs face towards your outer fabric. Pin the inner fabric to the inner fabric and the outer fabric to the outer fabric:

Pouch

And sew around it all, leaving a small opening to turn it:

Opening

Then turn it all right side out, push out the corners and press it flat. Sew your opening shut:  Sewshut

And you’ve got yourself a pencil case!

You’ve just found another prize in the Sew Crazy Challenge Scavenger Hunt!

1 person will win a Pepe in Paris Rolie Polie Pack:

Pepe

Enter here:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

And here’s your clue for the next prize pack:

Eating too many s’mores might make you gag,

But your kids will sleep snug in this sleeping bag.

Good luck!

Comments

1. amy Kohn says

cool. can’t wait to try this. I bought a zipper a while back to practice on something and this will be perfect!

2. Stacy says

Do I need to have a zipper foot for my machine to do this? I only have the regular, clear one. (My machine was a hand me down and I’m still learning to use it).

3. simonnet valou says

super!ça me motive pr me lancer dans le “cours pose de fermeture éclair” jm y mets la semaine prochaine!jviens de découvrir ton blog,c est genial merci pour tout ces tutos et conseils;bon week end

Shhh, don’t tell anyone but I didn’t use a zipper foot. I never really do. Actually, on this particular way to sew a zipper you don’t even need it. Just move the zipper pull out of your way while you sew past it.

4. michelle neel says

This is a great simple project. If you have an artsy person that you need to make a quick gift for this is great, fill with some new markers or colored pencils/pens and give with a new pad of paper. Was also thinking to make it a little more special if you have an embroidery machine, you could put their name on it to make it more special. I just recently started doing zentangle and have pens that were getting lost in the shuffle. found this project and it works perfect. I am a quilter also so I had plenty of scrap fabrics around to work with.
    seriously if it took me 1/2 an hour I would be surprised. I did use a zipper foot so I didn’t have to worry about my sewing lines being straight by the zipper.

5. Mimi says

If I wanted to put a thickish clear protective plastic over the front of the pencil case, would I just run it through with the zipper and fabrics all together?

6. Carole M says

Zippers do generally scare me, however projects like this (I made this one for my son for school!) make it a bit easier.

7. Leah says

Zippers scare me for sure. I’m doing the monthly challenges with you and I have all the stuff to do the pin tuck pouch, but I haven’t started it for fear of the zipper.

8. Renee says

This one is sort of like the zippered pouch we did for January’s challenge, isn’t it? I wouldn’t have tried this before because of the zipper, but now I know I can do it!

9. Jen S. says

I don’t think I was that afraid of zippers when approaching the January Sew Challenge Pintuck Pouch. I didn’t have too bad of a time with it, actually. I have many other things that scare me more (bias tape, sewing sheers, and free motion quilting for example). :)

10. Leslie says

Zippers scare me a little, but I sewed a pouch with one last month. Trying the zipper out gave me the confidence to try zippers some more! I am excited to create some things with zippers!

11. Nannette Elizabeth Nielsen says

I really need to make this so when my surprise little boy starts school I can make some cute ones for him.

12. Kim H says

Don’t scare me anymore, all thanks to your Learn To Sew skirt tutorial! I’ve made zippered sleep-sacks for babies all b/c of you! Thank you!

13. Michelle says

We need some of these. I think I may add an extension on the bottom with three large grommets so it can be put in a 3-ring binder like the store-bought type.

14. Maria says

I used to be afraid of zippers, but after making a few box bags, I am no longer intimidated. Love this pencil pouch, I think my daughter needs one :)

15. Michelle says

Adorable! I have 3 little girls in school. They would love to have a special pencil pouch that they designed themselves.

16. Tammy says

Zippers scared me at first but once I started making bags they weren’t so bad, once in a while you get bad zipper instructions but you just figure them out.

17. Elisa says

Love this tutorial – I used it to put in my first zipper, which turned out to be not nearly as scary as I thought it would be!

18. Cristina Bustamante says

I’ve tried sewing a pencil case where the zipper is in the middle of the fabric, this seems much simpler! Super cute!

19. Candias Chalker says

ABSOLUTELY DO….but loved your project last month which forced me to give it a try again….and found out it had been so frustrating all these years because I was not doing it properly….duh….so I did complete two pi tucked pouches with success.

20. Emily says

Zippers definitely don’t scare me as much as they use to. The first time I had to sew a zipper it was on a dress and it was an invisible zipper! It scared me to death and I pushed off having to do it for a week or better. Once I had sewn the zipper though, it wasn’t so bad and now they don’t scare me much at all :)

21. Torrie says

Yes, zippers scare me. But one of my goals this year is to sew and use a zipper. This looks the a great project to gain some confidence with.

22. Sophie says

Thank you for making zippers easier to understand. I’m not afraid of sewing them, but I do get stuck on how to put them all together sometimes…. Oh and the fabric is gorgeous!

23. mary frtisch says

Zippers scare me a little bit–I’ve made a few, but I do not have confidence with them… I always need to check how to layer them, etc.

24. Erin M says

I haven’t done zippers yet (my grandma installs all the zippers on my projects lol). This seems like a simple enough zipper project to start out with. Can’t wait!

25. Melinda says

I have yet to attempt working with zippers, but this looks like a great project to try. You make it all look so easy. Thank you for the inspiration.

Haven’t needed to put in a zipper in a long time. About to get back to the clothes making (over summer) so I guess I’ll just have to cross my fingers and hope I remember how to do it.

27. Sharon Williams says

I have been wanting to make a zippered pouch to keep my envelope system, for my Dave Ramsey , in….this would be great! And I could make clothe envelopes to put inside it!! Love this, thanks….

28. Mippy/Sabrina says

Yes, zippers scare meh. I am brand new to sewing. I just bought my first machine and haven’t even gotten thread yet…lol

29. Christina Walters says

Zippers used to scare me, until I tried last months sew monthly challenge. Now I’ve made 3 things with a zipper (bean bag, tablet stand, and the pintuck pouch) and plan to make a large cosmetic bag with a zipper. I even ordered a few zippers so I have some on hand.

30. Katie says

I can’t wait to try this. Saturday when I can I will buy a zipper and try this. If I wanted to make this with vinyl fabric would a table cloth do? I have one with a flannel back and I think it would be great to try this on it. To cover the flannel would I sew the inside fabric at the same time as the zipper?

• Katie says

And zippers scare me too. I am semi beginner. as I have sew a bunch of stuff I just never sewn a zipper cause it scares me.

31. Sherry S says

Zippers can be scary things. You need to approach them with caution as they have a lot of teeth. Taping them down or (lamb-) basting them into place sometimes helps. Either way you need to not make any sudden moves and take it very slow.

32. Lisa says

This looks so easy to sew and with five kids I will have a lot of fun letting the older ones pick out their own fabric. Thank you for the neat project!

33. Lisa H says

Yes! I have a zipper pouch project all cut out and ready to go…but I’m doing other projects first becuase I’m too scared :(

34. Angelia L. says

No, not really. I have made a few zipper pouches with no problem. They do scare my sewing machine though….it doesn’t like to sew over them very well.

35. Rebecca Brewer says

I have yet to be successful with a zipper. I’m prepared to try again though. Nothing like a glutton for punishment:)

36. Brittany Duso says

They do scare me, but that’s because I have never put one in a project before. I’m going to give it a try soon though! Wish me LUCK!

37. Prerna Kapoor says

Perfect excuse to finally get myself a sewing machine. I’m sick of my pens and pencils leaving marks in my handbags.

38. Lydia Che Lee says

Yes but only bc I’ve only done one and I butchered it…lol…I’m attempting another go of it this weekend…and using your tutorial this time.

• Patti McAvoy says

Zippers… Not so bad..unless you are two days from your wedding day and you still have not put in the zipper in your wedding dress

39. Lisa Smith says

I need to practice zippers more. The pouch could be used for so much more than just pencils.
    Need to give it a try soon.

40. Kristen says

Zippers scare me! I have tried a few and all I can say is…you win some, you lose some. This projects is cute and will be good practice for me.

41. Tari McDonald says

Zippers only scare me when we are talking about clothing installation. I’ve used zippers now in a zipper pouch and in some pillow covers- both were easy. Perhaps clothing zippers won’t be so scary after I actually try it :)

42. Crystal S says

Zippers totally scare me!!! unless i’m making them into a funky bracelet….sewing wise scary, accessory wise adore them :)

43. Rachel says

I love zippered pouches – they are great for many different things! I especially love them for out-n-about with the kiddos (treats, matchbox cars, crayons, etc,)

44. Rachel says

I would like to meet you but it is not possible because i live in Africa( Ghana)
    I would like to make a pencil case with one fabric

45. Nicki says

I just found your blog and I am loving it!!!! The back pack tut…I was about to buy a pattern, not now, and this one :) I’m sewing the backpack for my 4 yo whose starting pre-k and big bro going into 3rd is wanting one too…I dont think thats the best idea so Im looking for other little things…he needs a zipper pouch to fit his binder…I am going to attempt to add the rings to one for him…I will use canvas and interfacing to make it sturdier as well, but they are asking for a fabric one, so he’s gonna get one!!! Thanks so much!!!