My mom lives a mere 8 hour drive away from me (a 1 hour flight). She has 3 out of 5 kids living here and half of her grand kids and yet we can’t seem to get her to come visit as often as we want her to. So when she finally showed up in town this spring we got pretty excited!
I really love my mom. You know how the older you get the more you start to appreciate your own mom? That’s happened to me. Let me tell you a few of the best things about my mom.
1. She is totally and completely down to earth, even keeled and unflappable. I have noticed this most right after I have babies. My most recent baby having experience was a little stressful with major health issues on my part and a baby in the NICU for two weeks. It’s at times like these that I really appreciate that she doesn’t get worked up, she just gets to work. Love that. And she does that in most every way of her life.
2. Neither of us has a sister. I know-lame for us right!? So we have to sort of be each others sister. I can’t really vouch for how well we do this since I don’t know what it’s like to have a sister, but I do know it’s a lot of fun to do the slightly more girly things with my mom (neither of us is very girly given our family situations). I like to talk on the phone to her, have her around to cook with, shop with, and just hang out with.
3. As a teenager my friends and church leaders started to just expect the phrase “My mom says…” out of my mouth because I said it so often. But I think I recognized even then that she had good advice.
4. She’s nuts. One of my very favorite things to do with her is play games. My family loves to sit at the table and play cards and board games and we can always count on my mom to say something wacky that was can laugh about for years to come. And then she denies having ever said it.
5. According to my 9 year old, she’s the funniest person on the planet. She’s no comedian and she doesn’t try to be hilarious, but somehow she knows exactly the thing to say to get him laughing. On time when she cam to visit us he said excitedly “Grandma’s only been here a few minutes and already she’s telling her funny jokes!”
OK, I could go on. She’s really great.
So we wanted to do something special for her while she was here, so we did an early Mother’s Day Picnic. It turned out amazing with fun shopping to kick it off (who doesn’t love shopping at World Market?), great food and a beautiful spread.
My boys *helped* with this although that mostly meant they dug in the dirt while I set it up.
First on Friday night me and mom went shopping at World Market. Seriously, I love that store. You know what I love the very most? The bright colored dishes and serving sets. My 1 year old likes the duck toys and snookered Grandma into buying him one.
You know what I did? I waxed a little creative. You know I had to. I bought napkins (see the picture above) and made them into place mats by stenciling them! I’ll post about doing that next week. They turned out so cute though. And I loved the bright colored serving bowls we got too.
So I set the table all festive and picnic-y with cute plates, the stenciled place mats, pretty cups and then the bright serving bowls:
And I bought her chocolate and had it on her plate waiting for her. Got that at too. Because seriously-who doesn’t love chocolate?
Then the food. I made a Venetian Chicken Salad (recipe for that coming too) and rolls and a fruity mouse. And served it all with lemonade. It was SO yummy!
It was fun! I wish she didn’t have to leave town and go back home. She promises me she’s coming to visit twice this summer though. In fact, her plane ticket is booked for one of those trips already.
What are you going to do for your mom for Mother’s Day? What do you love about her? Think she’s something special? World Market has some great Mother’s Day gift ideas. It’s time to start shopping for that!
And, did you know that you can nominate her to win the My Amazing Mom Sweepstakes with World Market. ($5,000 dollar gift card anyone?)
Don’t want to nominate your mom? You can also enter to win one of 10 $500 gift cards.
Find out more about the My Amazing Mom Sweepstakes and see the entries here:
Show your mama some love! Mine loved it!