What’s the Project? If you’ve got kids home for a break or just little ones who aren’t in school yet, these fun activities for kids at home are a great way to keep them happy and you sane. Fun ideas for all ages that are easy for you to pull off and filled with fun.
I love my kids. They are fun to be around, fun to snuggle, fun to bake cookies with, it can be great to have fun with them! I’m guessing you feel the same way about yours.
Then there are those times when they are home and you are home and everyone is on top of each other and things get a little crazy. Stir crazy that is.
So if you are stuck home with the kids, whether it’s over Spring or Summer Break or winter holidays, just because they are little and aren’t in school yet, or because school got canceled for coronavirus (feel us anyone?), these fun activities to do with kids at home are great ways to keep EVERYONE happy-you included!
Here are some fun things to do with kids while you are at home! I hope these help and if you have other great ideas, chime in with them in the comments!
30+ Fun Things to do with Kids at Home:
- Get a little creative and watercolor as a family. And did you know that you can watch free episodes of painting tutorials that are very friendly to people who lack in art skills? Try it with the older kids and they will feel like painting pros!
2. This game is a family favorite. Play a round (or ten) of Spicy Uno with the kids (and bonus because one of the rules has everyone being quiet for large periods of time). It’s a really fun game!
3. Bust out the books! Here are some great books to read to your kids. (Tried and true-we loved them!)
4. Bake something you’ve never tried before and want to try. These 4 ingredient cookies are not only easy, they taste amazing and are a good one for kids to help with!
5. Make homemade playdough.
6. Then play a game of Pictionary using the playdoh. Have everyone sculpt things with the playdough and see if others can guess what it is.
7. Play a game of sardines in the house. Have you played that? It’s like backward hide and seek and kids LOVE it! Plus, if you hide well enough you might get a little bit of time to yourself. 😉
8. Do service for someone! Needs some ideas and inspiration? Here’s a site full of great service opportunities in your area.
9. Teach your kids to sew, then sew some easy sewing projects with them.
10. Have you ever played Drawful? It’s an online game that everyone can play together and it’s a HUGE hit with our kids. Download it here and then gather around and play (we link it to our TV with an apple tv device).
11. If the weather is warm, go outside and do sidewalk chalk. You could even have a chalk the block competition. Give everyone a section and a set amount of time to draw something in chalk.
12. Dip chocolates! Grab some milk (or white or dark) chocolate chips (or melting chocolate) and some supplies to dip-things like Nutter Butters or Oreos, marshmallows, peanuts, pretzels, cinnamon bears, Twinkies, fruit, anything! Then get some toppings like sprinkles, crushed candy, coconut, nuts and have fun making your own chocolates.
13. Have your kids tried Perler beads? They can literally be hours of fun as they design their own creations. They might need a little help ironing, but otherwise, it’s something they can do themselves. (You can search online for design inspiration and patterns.)
14. Go for a walk. Just get everyone out of the house. Walks can be a great time to get them talking while moving and getting fresh air.
15. Do a puzzle together. This can be good when you have it just sitting out somewhere visible-draws their attention and gives them something to do.
16. Play an outdoor sport like pickleball or tennis, kickball, spike ball, or shoot some hoops!
17. Play some fun minute to win it games with them! This one could be especially good for the older kids.
18. Google some origami tutorials and make cranes or paper chains together.
19. If you’re brave and you’re not too sick of it yet, make slime! You know they’ll love it.
20. Send the kids on a photo scavenger hunt. You can do this around the neighborhood or around the town with a list of things they need to find, or you can closeup snapshots around the house and make them track the items down. (Here’s a printable list you could use.)
21. Have you ever tried Geo-caching? This is a quirky, real-life treasure hunt that is guaranteed to get you out of the house and moving!
22. Get a long roll of paper and let the kids draw to their heart’s content. There’s something fun about it being a long mural size that makes it more exciting.
23. Go for a bike ride, scooter ride, stroller ride, whatever works for your ages.
22. Print out some word searches, crossword puzzles, dot to dots, or other kid type puzzles that they can work on.
23. Have a movie night. There’s something about calling it that and making it special instead of just watching tv that makes it exciting, isn’t there?!
24. Build a fort and let them play or have a tea party inside.
25. Make cards for someone and mail it. They can brighten grandparents’, friends’, or someone special’s day this way.
26. Make s’mores over the stove (or in the backyard if you’ve got a fire pit or a grill.)
27. Make t-shirts. You could tie-dye them or use fabric markers to draw on them. Kids love doing this!
28. Doorbell ditch a neighbor or friend with a fun treat or pizza (you could do store-bought or homemade).
29. Play this fun M&Ms game. Chocolate for everyone!
30. Print some kids’ coloring pages from the internet that they can color. Try sitting down to color with them! It’s so soothing.
There you go-does that help? Hopefully, these fun ideas of things to do with kids at home will help and you can all enjoy each other.
Have a great time doing these fun activities to do with kids at home.
You Might Also Like: