10 Family Christmas Tradition Ideas

It’s the traditions in life that make it sweet isn’t it? I love how excited my kids get for the traditions we’ve set in our family for Thanksgiving, for Christmas and year round. Christmas traditions with kids are so essential to building a strong family. Here are just a few Family Tradition Ideas for Christmas to get you started!

Fun Family Christmas Tradition Ideas:

10 Fun Family Christmas Tradition Ideas

Love, love, love this idea. I already told my husband about it and we are for sure doing it.  Can’t wait because I know my boys will go crazy over it! It’s the Minivan Express from Confessions of a Homeschooler: (Update-we did and the kids went bonkers with excitement! SUCH a hit!)

We did this last Christmas Eve with my family and had a lot of fun! It’s Christmas themed Minute to Win It Games  by On Cloud 8:

12 Days of Christmas with stories and coordinating treats from The Craft Patch. She’s got all the links to stories ready for you so it’s easy to pull off. Very fun idea!

A Christmas Storybook Advent from Katherine Marie Photography:

This one is very tender and sweet. A yearly letter inside a special Christmas tree ornament:

Do you celebrate St. Nick’s Day? It’s a fun one to do in early December:

And have you heard of the Christmas Pickle before?

This is my very favorite idea for an advent. It’s an activity each night counting down to Christmas:

I have to tell you about this book-The Christmas Chronicles. Our tradition is to read it out load as a family in the month before Christmas. It’s a really neat book!

And last, my family’s very favorite Christmas tradition is pizza by the light of the Christmas tree on the first Monday in December. On that night I give everyone a Christmas tree ornament that symbolized their past year.

I like to get them on etsy because they will often custom design them for me or just search the internet for the perfect one.

What are your favorite traditions at the holidays?

Comments

1. Vicky says

Greetings from the UK. Thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas, I can’t wait to try some!
    When I was growing up, my Dad never read us stories as he had such bad dyslexia. However, every xmas eve, we’d get into our pjs before bed and sit around the fireplace. Dad would put the log fire on (the only time we had it on!), we’d sit around it and he’d read “Twas the night before christmas”. I now know he knew it off by heart! We’d then hang our stockings, put out the mince pie and carrot for father xmas and ruldolph and toddle off to bed.
    I lost my Dad before I had children, so it seemed natural to start that tradition with mine and every year, I can still hear his voice and it feels like he’s there.

2. Kristy says

We don’t have littles yet, but I’ve been searching around for some Christmas traditions to incorporate. So far, one I have from childhood is that we always got our Christmas tree on whatever Sunday fell closest to my birthday (the 8th). We went as a family, cut it down and then spent the afternoon trimming. A new one started with my husband when we were dating. We exchange 4 gifts with each other. Three based on the gifts of the 3 wise men, Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh. Gold is something that the other REALLY wants, Frankincense is something practical like a hat or gloves or hand-knit socks, and myrrh represents something especially meaningful between the two of us. The 4th gift (and boy do we have fun with this one!!!) is Patchouli and it is typically a funny gag gift. Out of all the gifts, we have come to look forward to this one the most as it usually ends up being or becoming the most meaningful of them all. The 4 gift limit keeps our budget in check and we do try to make by hand what we can. There are certainly some great ideas here that I want to adapt to our family and I thank you for putting them together. Merry Christmas!

3. Sharon says

We grew up doing the pickle ornament. It was a fun tradition! I like that it was never too trendy- but I’ve been seeing the pickle ornament all over pinterest, so I wonder if that’s about to change.

4. Emily says

I love all of these, especially the 12 Days of Christmas one! My family never had a ton of Christmas traditions, but it didn’t make the season any less special. One that I loved was my dad would take a day off work and take me out of school before winter break so we could go shopping for my mom (I am an only child). It was so much fun playing hookey and having the whole day with my dad! That’s definitely one I plan to continue with my kids.

5. Patricia says

We do the pickle ornament. We also celebrated Jesus’ birthday with a birthday cake. We did the candles and sang the Birthday song.

6. Elayne says

My Family has a tradition of the Christmas Angel.

When I was growing up the Christmas Angel was so magical to me… I had a hard time believing in Santa Clause, but I believed in Angels, and every year, I would wake up on the day after Thanksgiving and the Christmas Angel had arrived! She had decorated a small tree in our kitchen, hung up small stalkings in the window, inspired my mom to cook a lovely breakfast and left us all gifts under the small tree. Every year the gifts always contained an outfit for us to wear to church on Christmas and our very own Christmas tree ornament.
    The Christmas Angel now visits my children, although she does things just a little differently, as we don’t have a large kitchen that fits a tree.
    When the Christmas Angel comes to our house, she sets up our large Christmas tree and decorates it with lovely white lights, and places an Angel at the top of the tree. My Children wake up on the morning of the day after Thanksgiving, and find that the Christmas angel has ushered in the Christmas Season with our tree, our stalkings hanging on the fireplace mantel, a warm breakfast baked by yours truly, and yes, a gift for each child containing an outfit to wear to all their Christmas Parties, and Church on Christmas Sunday as well as their very own special ornament to put on the tree.
    From that day on, more decorations go up, and Christmas music is prevalent in our home. It’s my favorite tradition that I love celebrating with my children, and I hope they too will celebrate it with their children someday.

7. cindy says

growing up, my mom would save all the small candy boxes from Halloween(milk duds, junior mints, and ju-ju beads) and fill them with small trinkets. each sibling would get 24! boxes. they were placed in a basket in the living room. each morning we would open ONE. usually it was a quarter, pencil topper or small candy-whatever could fit. I continued this tradition with my kids who are now grown :( but when they were small, their aunt gave them little trees to keep beside the bed-kind of like a nite light. I would tuck them in and when they fell asleep, I would put one of those small packages under. have to say there were a few nites I forgot and was swiftly reminded in the morning. they still put the trees up and I try to add little trinkets here and there. after all, they are 19,20 and 23 :) but they love it!

8. Theresa says

My husband and I exchange an ornament every year. After 10 years we each have 10 ornaments with special meaning, plus our children’s who have been incorporated over the last few years. We go to things remembered, but you could also make them yourself. We try to get the ones with picture frames to include a favorite memory from that year too. We also have fondue on Christmas Eve and watch the polar express in our pjs with hot cocoa.

9. Brittany says

My grandmother has a double collection of the 12 days of Christmas glasses. On Christmas Eve, we have a waffle bar dinner and everyone grabs their glass. Then after we eat we sit around and sing the 12 days of Christmas, singing the part assigned by the glass you chose :)

10. Kim says

We hang Christmas j’s from the tree. They are upside down candy canes. They signify Jesus, red for the blood he shed and white is the Holy Spirit making us white as snow ( clean slate) kinda tricky to get them hung up upside down tho to make J’s. We only do 3 gifts each for the kids, like the 3 wisemen, and we also make a cake for Jesus and sing the song and all. Thanks for posting we can always add some new ideas to our new little and still growing family.

11. Courtney says

I have 2 little boys and every year on Christmas eve everyone opens one present and its our pajamas for Christmas morning. It gets eveyone in the mood for the morning to come!

12. Rach says

My family, my sister’s family and my mom & dad all make a ginger bread house with our families and then on Christmas day we bring our house to my mom’s for our Christmas celebration and the houses come together to make a little village. It’s fun!

13. Beth says

We grew up with special stockings, stuffed with fruit, nuts, small toys, etc. Stockings were a big deal. As we grew up, all of us wanted to be able to put our own stocking stuffers in everyone else’s stockings and the normal size ones just didn’t cut it. So I bought tons of denim and made everyone in the family a REAL Texas sized stocking. They are over 3 1/2 feet tall and 15 – 30 inches wide at top and toe. I mean HUGE. Under a large cuff at the top, I insert a ruffle. Each person’s ruffle is something especially chosen for that person, reflecting a hobby, a collection, a nickname, etc. but all very unique to that person. We all search throughout the year for really cool or special goodies to go in the stockings so opening them is just as much fun as opening presents. Since we’ve acquired a new grandson, a new son-in-law and a soon to be new daughter-in-law, I have some serious sewing to get to pretty quickly. Believe it or not, some years even these stockings aren’t big enough!

Great list. We live on a sailboat so each year we are in a different location. Since I can’t collect or keep a lot of stuff we make most of our decorations each year. This includes putting together our own “fireplace” – red/white garland for fire and paper-towel roll logs. No Christmas is ever the same. We also do jammies and read the Night Before Christmas on Christmas eve. In the front cover of the book we write down where we are that year.

My husbands family also has a great stocking-stuffer tradition. They each buy something for each others stockings. The trick is to find something that isn’t obvious what it is. Then it is a game to see who can figure out what each of the items are. This is the only thing the adults exchange – gifts are reserved for the kids – but it gives the adults something to look forward to too.

15. Barbara says

Each year everyone gets a new ornament. Pertaining what’s going what’s going on that year. I put the year on it some where. They love it and look forward to it.

16. Jessica says

We do pajama Santa. Every year on Christmas Eve the doorbell rings while my son is still awake. He finds a package and a note. The note says:
    Dear Luke,
    I came by to bring your presents but you were still awake. Get ready for bed, I’ll be back when you’re asleep.
    Santa
    The package is pajamas, which he hurries to put on. We leave Santa and Rudolph a snack and off to bed he goes. We never have any trouble with him staying up late on Christmas Eve.