Angry Birds Hooded Towel Tutorial

Do you know what happened to me? I had one of those between sleep and awake epiphanys! You know, the kind where some amazing thought comes to you when you are right in that state between being awake and falling asleep. What does this mean? This could be huge!

Well, at least it was huge around our house and made me the #1 mom for the week anyway. I was planning to do a dragon/dinosaur towel for the month of July. Until my epiphany.

Instead I give you….(drum roll please)….Angry Birds Hooded Towel for Kids!!! (See the monthly hooded towels)

Angry Birds Hooded Towel Tutorial by Crazy Little Projects

I don’t know how excited you are, but my boys? Ya, I was the coolest mom ever to them.

My plan was just to make the red bird and make them share it. Ya right. One of them pointed out that I had a yellow towel in my craft closet (he was going to be a duck down the road a little) and that I could make the yellow bird. So I did. Then we had to drive to Target to get a black towel. Good thing they are easy, because I made all of these in the course a day.

Angry Birds Towel Tutorial:

• 1 towel
  • 1/2 hand towel in the same color
  • 1/2 hand towel in your beak color
  • White, black and eyebrow color fabric
  • Paper Backed Iron on transfer adhesive (like Heat n Bond)

I will teach you to make the faces here. To finish the towel off see my basic hooded towel tutorial.

Cut your main color hand towel in half. Fold under the finished edge about 3 or 4 inches and sew it in place:

Flip that over and work on the other side.

Cut out eyes and eyeballs and eyebrows from fabric. Using iron on transfer on the back of your fabric, iron them in place on your towel:

Sew a tight zig zag stitch all the way around the eyes, eyeballs and eyebrows:

Out of your beak colored towel, cut a beak shape (cut two):

Sew it together leaving a spot on the top, straight part to turn it. Turn it.

Put your beak in place on your towel and zig zag tightly across it to keep it in place:

Now, fold you face in half and zig zag up the raw edge or you towel to form the hood:

If you want a rounded off head (like I have for the red and black birds) do this step. For a pointy head like the yellow bird, skip it.

Lay your hood like this:

And sew a straight line right across that top peak about 1 inch down. Snip off the triangle tip.

To attach it to the towel follow the instructions on my basic hooded towel tutorial

Really, you could make these in any of the birds colors. What I should do next is a green pig for my baby…

More hooded towels:

Frog hooded towel pattern and tutorial

Frog Hooded Towel

Ladybug Hooded Towel

Ladybug Hooded Towel

Monkey Hooded Towel Tutorial
Monkey Hooded Towel

Follow me on facebook, by RSS Feed or on Pinterest to get the lowdown on each month’s towel and other projects!

Comments

WOW!!! What a great idea!! I love it!! I am Pinning this! My kids would go nuts over them! ;)

THANK YOU!!!!
    StacySewsandSchools.Wordpress.com

Oh my gosh! Those are just too friggin cute. Thank you.

Does the beak stand out or does it flop down after washing? I’m wondering if it needs any stabilizer inside the beak to help it retain the beak shape?

LOVE the angry bird towels!! I just showed them to my daughter and she wants one :)

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

These are the cutest thing I have ever seen! I can sew a straight line (and a zigzag) but have never sewn through terrycloth. Is a special needle required?

5. LizzD says

I saw this pin and loved it! I decided these would be perfect Christmas gifts for my nieces and nephew. I have done nothing more than a few pant hems so this task was a little daunting for me. BUT…I have managed to make the red bird, black bird, and yellow bird in about 2 days time and will start on the blue bird shortly. These came out so well and were fairly easy once I got the hang of it, that I have decided to do a duck and ladybug for my other 2 nieces! Thanks for such a great idea.

6. Jamie P says

Thank you for a great tutorial! I am making these for my kids for Christmas. Did you happen to ever make the green piggy? My kids are obsessed with Angry Birds and I am sure they would love a piggy too!

7. CaymanMum3 says

Just made a red one last night in 3 hours. I am a newbie to sewing but was very exciting seeing it come together. I made mine poncho style and did the zigzag in black all around the eyes, it made it look more ANGRY.lol Thanks for sharing. Going to try the black bird tonight.

hi, I kind of stumbled across your page ,and found this towel ,my little nephew(4)
    Will be Crazy about this towel he loves angry birds
    he’s whole birthday cake&All was Angry Birds.
    Now I just need to know which bird color is his favorite!!
    Thanks for sharing this pattern.

9. Annette says

These are soooo cute! Thanks for sharing! Is there a pattern for the eyes/eyebrows/beak, similar to the other patterns for hooded towels???

• CaymanMum3 says

Annette,
      I traced out from a coloring page off the intrenet. Hope that helps! Also I used felt or fleece for the face features now because I find cotton frays too easily and the face comes apart after a few washes.
      Wanda

10. Lucinda Johnson says

Just did 2 monkey towels for our twin granddaughters 1st birthdays. 2nd one much easier & so much fun to do. Thanks! angry birds for another granddaughter for Christmas. Can’t wait to get started!