Personalized Superhero Cape Pattern

For years I made personalized kids superhero capes similar to these and sold them in my online business. You wouldn’t believe the demand for them. In fact, I sold so many that I got totally and completely burned out on sewing and didn’t sew for several years after that. But now I sew again and now I am going to teach you to make them.

Superhero Cape Pattern by Crazy Little Projects

And add to the superhero cape pattern a coordinating mask and you’ve REALLY got your own little superhero!  Get the mask tutorial here.

Kid's Mask Pattern and Tutorial

Are you ready to learn how?

These are great because you can make them in ANY color combination, for boys or girl, and with any superhero logo on them. The best though, is when they are personalized for the kid.

I let me 4 year old pick out the colors he wanted for his cape and mask. He picked red, yellow and white.

Superhero Cape Pattern:

About 1/2-1 yard of 2 colors of fabric (depends on how big the cape you are making is)
Felt in desired colors
1 inch piece of velcro

To start out, measure the child you are making the cape for from the back of the neck to wherever you want the cape to hang to. To give you an idea, this cape for my four year old measures 20″ from the base of the neck to the bottom of the cape (with an additional 5″ or so for the neck part).

Lay your fabric out on the floor (or wherever you cut) with it folded and ready for you to cut. You are going to be eyeballing this, but you want your cape to look something like this:
Cape Pattern

So mine is 20″ from the base of the neck to the bottom of the cape and is 24″ wide across the bottom and 20″ wide across the top with those neck pieces extending about 6″ above the case of the neck part.

Make it look something like this. Trust me, your kiddo doesn’t really care how perfect the shape is, so just do what you think looks good.

Cut 2 pieces-one in each color of fabric.

Now, cut your superhero logo out of felt. I just cut that traditional diamond like shape and put the child’s initial on top of it. I am not artistic, so to help myself I print a letter out from the computer and trace around it. You can also print logos of other favorite superheros:
Batman cape

Superman cape

Pin those in place where you want them on the cape, a few inches down from the base of the neck. Using coordinating thread, sew around all of the edges of the logo.

Now, with right sides of the cape together, sew around the whole thing, leaving an opening to turn it at the base of the neck.

Turn it, push out all the edges and then press it flat. Top stitch around the whole thing making sure to sew that opening in the neck closed.
Childrens cape pattern

Now, add a piece of velcro to each of the neck pieces. One on the top color, the other on the bottom:

make a cape for children

Easy to sew cape
Capes for boys
And that’s it! You are done! Except now you need to make a matching mask to go with it.
How to make a superhero cape
Personalized Superhero Cape and Mask Tutorial by Crazy Little Projects

Comments

This is the cutest thing!! My son would love it! Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

Thanks so much for this super cute idea. My brother and I had fun capes that we wore all the time when we were little. I was excited about these and made some up today, yellow and blue for my son and pink and zebra for my baby girl. They both LOVE them and these were super quick to make!

3. maria welch says

Could u make a cape with photgraphs on it??? I saw it on th Step Mom movie and I wanted one for my daughter for Christmas…..She is 6yo…

What if you just got some photo transfer paper and used that? I have done that on T-shirts before and it was great!

4. Delores says

This is soooo cute. I just made my grandson (2 1/2 ) a Spiderman outfit (he thinks he is Spiderman) lol and although Spiderman does not wear a cape, I wanted to make one and this idea is just perfect. Thanks for sharing

5. mindi says

I’m going to have to buy my fabric online (without seeing it first). I’m a novice at this.. can you tell me what kind of fabric you used? Just 100% cotton broadcloth? I cannot find anyone who specifies, in their tutorial, just what kind of fabric they are using. Please help!
    Thanks!!

If it doesn’t specify, assume cotton (ie. broadcloth). I would say that’s true of my site and pretty much anyone else’s. :)

6. Kelly Mullin says

Hey cuz! I was trying to make a cape and low and behold you site popped up!!! Thanks for being so crafty!

7. Angela says

I loved this project!!! and so did my son lol the cape was SOOOO easy! the mask took a bit of play but it turned out pretty good too!! thank you

8. Kimberly says

I love this! Thank you so much for the free pattern. My daughter chose “super monkey princess” for her 3rd birthday theme, and with only her two little friends coming to play, making this for the three of them sounds like a do-able way to make for hours of super-hero pretending fun!

9. Lizzie says

These capes are great!
    I’m a complete novice so silly question probably but is it best to sew this by hand or machine?

10. KarenB says

My gr8 nephews will be stoked when I give them their capes as a surprise gift. Thank you for sharing your simple yet effective pattern ;-D

11. Sue Paul says

Love this! I plan to make one for each of my 3 grandsons for Christmas. One question……is the whole thing made of felt ? It’s hard to tell by the photo. And you did mention felt in the instructions.

Trackbacks