How to Use Heat Transfer Vinyl

I made something new yesterday and it took me under 30 minutes and I love how it turned out! It’s so easy. I want to teach you how to use heat transfer vinyl and show you some ideas for projects you could do with it.

Here’s what I made yesterday-can I get a Go Cougars?!!?

How to Use Heat Transfer Vinyl {plus cute ideas of projects to do with it!}

This was just with a shirt that he had already-I just added the logo of our favorite school. (He loves it! He plans to be Cosmo, the mascot someday.)

Make Your Own Heat Transfer Vinyl Shirt

Here’s another project you can do with heat transfer vinyl. This one is done with the glittery kind! (Love glitter!)

Personalized Kids Messenger Bags

How to Personalize a Messenger Bag

Oh how I love that little bag. The tutorial for that bag is coming soon, but for now let’s talk about how to personalize it.

How to Use Heat Transfer Vinyl:

Heat Transfer Vinyl: There are several varieties-smooth, flocked (sort of fuzzy) and glittery. I got mine here.

Iron

Some way to cut your vinyl-I used my Silhouette machine. You can use scissors or an exacto knife if you need to.

Something to transfer your vinyl onto

Start out by cutting your design. **Make sure you mirror image your design. It will transfer backwards from what you cut.**

You want to cut with the shiny side of your vinyl down. I tried to take a picture of this but my camera couldn’t catch the shiny. Just trust me on this-you will see that one side is shiny. Put that side down and cut on the other side.

Once you have your design cut, begin to peel off the pieces that are NOT part of your design:

Makingaheattransfershirt

You can use a sharp tool like this Silhouette hook to help if needed:

Howtomakeaheattransfershirt

Peel until you have everything removed EXCEPT what you want to transfer:

Usingheattransfervinyl

Now, get out your iron and turn it to the cotton setting. Lay your transfer on your item you are transferring to:

Tutorialonheattransfervinyl

Lay a piece of fabric over it:

Irononvinyltutorial

And iron for 60 seconds.

Irononvinyl

Let it cool for a few minutes and then gently peel it off. And you’ve got a finished product! I love it! Seriously, it’s so easy and fun!

Howtouseflockedheattransfervinyl

And my kiddo loved it:

BYU Shirt

Comments

1. Stephanie says

I was wondering if you could use some of these products with the Cricut machine? Or if you knew of any other sources for heat transferred vinyl? This is a great project and so versatile. Thank you

Yes, definitely-with a Silhouette, a Cricut or even with scissors or an exacto knife. I’ll add some more sources for the vinyl next week so check back. :)

2. Mandy says

I have done this with my cricut for years, but I feel like it’s hit or miss. About 70% of the time it works great, but if you iron too long it melts and warps your design, and if you don’t iron long enough your design will peel and not wash well. Any helpful hints for that, or is it just me? :)

I had a few problems too. I noticed that I needed my iron to NOT be on the highest setting. More of a medium setting. Then I could iron for longer without it warping.

3. Jenny says

Hi Amber,
    What a fun project! Can you tell me where I can purchase the “Y” logo? I can’t find it in the silhouette store. Thanks!
    Jenny

4. Tisha says

Do you know if heat transfer vinyl will work on other surfaces if you use a heat gun? (i.e. acrylic tumblers, glass, etc.)? I’ve only been able to find animal print vinyl in heat transfer not regular adhesive. Thanks for the tutorial!!

5. Libby says

Great tutorial thanks so much!!
    Does this really last long without peeling? Can you wash and dry these clothes like normal?
    Also what brand of vinyl do you use?

Thanks!
    Libby

You know, I have never had problems with it before, but did for my first time last week. I think that I didn’t iron long enough on what I was using though because I think it usually works better than it did that day. I get mine from Expressions Vinyl-the link is in that post.

6. Jamilah says

Great tutorial! Thanks. Can you share the type of software you used where you were able to print/cut any design that you found on the web?