Learn to Sew-Pledge

This is it. Two more days until the Learn to Sew classes officially starts. I can’t believe the response this series is getting. I am excited. And I am nervous.

Why am I nervous? Let me tell you. I want this to be a good experience for everyone. I am NOT a professional seamstress. Haven’t even really taken any sewing classes other than Home Ec in 7th grade. I am just a girl who likes to sew a lot and does it all the time, so I’ve learned the basics pretty well. And once I sewed for a business I own. So yes, I have sewn a lot. But nope. Not a professional.

And, I know that Learning to Sew can be tricky and it can be frustrating. In fact, even within just the last few years my husband would look at me like I was nuts if I mentioned that I love to sew because more often than not I was frustrated about something while I sewed.

So, before we get this party started, let’s make ourselves a promise. You and Me.

Promise This to Yourself:

When I sit down at the sewing machine I will realize that learning to sew takes time and practice.

My lines won’t be perfectly straight the first day. Or the second. Maybe not even for a few months. Or years. That’s ok. Nobody cares. I’m doing my best.

The seam ripper is my friend. Not my enemy. It’s normal to need to use the seam ripper. That’s the beauty of sewing. When you make a mistake you can undo it and fix it. There’s not too many things in the world that you can say that for are there?

If I find myself getting frustrated I will take a break. And eat some chocolate. I will return when I am refreshed.

I won’t give up. I will keep this goal to learn to sew and I will accomplish it.

I won’t be overly critical of my work. I will realize that no one else will judge my work nearly as harshly as I will judge myself.

I will have fun and feel creative and brilliant while I sew.

Promise me that ok? I don’t want you to get frustrated and quit.

Remember, I sew a ton and I am not kidding you, I make mistakes and my works is far from perfect. You know this messenger bag? Looks nice in the picture. But it has a few strange puckers and few crooked lines. That’s ok. You think anyone else notices? Nope. Think anyone cares? No.

I know you perfectionists are going to have a hard time with this, but release it and have a good time.

And, if you are struggling with something-Let Me Know! I want to help. This is all new to me to teach people to sew, so if I need to explain something better, just tell me.

And remember that we have this group you can join if you want more help too.

OK, are you ready?!

Comments

1. Christine says

I have joined you sewing group, I am a sewer of more than 50yrs and am quite experienced at it, making clothing for myself, my children, grands and 3 wedding parties for my kids. I joined to work along with my 7 year old grand daughter. I thought this was a fun way of us working together. What you have stated in your above note needs to be read and believed by so many sewers. Try your best and every day you do this you will get better and better. Don’t be afraid to try something new, it’s most likely easier than you think it is. Kudos to you for taking on this task and I look forward to working along with Victoria as you procgress thru it.

I know, I just really want to emphasize that the whole series. Don’t give up. Don’t demand perfection from yourself. Just have fun!

2. Janet says

I believe you will a great teacher, because you teaching something that you love doing. I can’t wait for Monday.

3. Paloma says

We just want to enjoy learning with you, and don’t expect to reach perfection. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and your time :)

4. PAuline Gudas says

This will be fun! I make quilkts and other crafty stuff for myself and as gifts. There is a lot for me to learn I am self taught and I am sure that there are easier and better ways to do things. I used to sew a lot of my own clothes as a teenager and young adult but would have to have my mom do the zippers and I never made a buttonhole that was very good. The most important thing is to learn and to have a little fun Thanks for doing this

5. Deb leader says

Just as we promise to not be hard on ourselves, I hope you will do the same. Your worries about teaching are unfounded. You are an amazing teacher and we are all grateful that you are willing to take us on this journey. I have my “do not disturb sign” and stitch ripper already in hand and am ready to go.

6. Lisa Denny Hart says

Yay…. We start soon cant wait….. only two more days… My very first sewing project every!!! Im sure its gonna be hard but i will keep at it… :)

7. Marlys says

Just got my first sewing machine for Christmas. I am such a newbie, but super excited! Thanks for your encouragement!

8. Sacha Visscher says

Thank you for being so honest. That helps a lot. Because I’m a little nervous. But I will try not to give up and think that practises makes perfect.

I’m so excited about this! Thank you for undertaking this amazing project! I’ve been sewing basic block quilts for 10 years now and I’m no where near perfect! I’m looking forward to learning more so I can move forward with what I can do!

10. Krissy says

So glad to read this post!! I too am a “seamstress.” Learned during my 10th grade school year. Some sweet ladies at my church decided to give a sewing class that lasted only a few months. I took it and fell in love. My hubby has often tried to get me to start selling things I’ve made, blog about what i sew but i’ve always said no because what I create is never “good enough”. I’m always afraid that the imperfections in my creations keep me from being able to showcase anything…you know like all of that great stuff that those other great crafters blog about.
    I commend you for desiring to share what you know with others…and being honest about the imperfections (although your stuff looks great!!!!)

11. Donna says

Looking forward to this! I’ve been wishing and wanting something like this for a long time. Thank you for doing this.

12. Wanda says

Amber, you can’t begin to know what a wonderful opportunity you are offering to those of us who have always desired, but never acquired this amazing skill. Your offering of time in teaching these tutorials step by step online is so very generous. Thank you for posting the pledge…I am taking it to heart! I just returned from purchasing the cloth diapers at Target and the fat quarters at JoAnn’s and I will wait for your next post. Thank you again!!

13. Jennifer says

So excited to get started. This has given me some inspiration to take out my sewing machine that has been put away for 5 years. Thank you for doing this.

14. Jessica graziano says

Amber dont worry!! No one here will ever judge you. I know i myself am very grateful that you are taking the time and effort to teach us. You will be amazing. I cant waitto learn new stuff. thank you so much for all you do and share with us!!!

15. Brenna says

I have been sewing for a while, but am still very excited about following along. I have a blog also and have had a couple people ask me about more sewing tutorials for beginners. I don’t yet have the confidence to do that, so I will be referring them here. I will also be sharing your series on my Facebook page each week if that is ok?

16. Cemella says

I’m looking forward to taking your class. I purchased a new machine as a Christmas present to myself so I’m very excited about sewing again. Thanks for the classes…

I am so ready! I have already sewn a variety of projects in the past, but I am so looking forward to learning some fabulous new things from you! I already have almost all the supplies ready and set to go. I think I’ve even picked out my final project already. It’s something that I got the supplied for, and then kind chickened out and use the excuse that I had other things that needed to get done. Thank you again for providing this wonderful opportunity for us!

18. Sherrie says

I can’t wait too for Monday, I have to work but I will catch up with you (hopefully) on Tuesday cause I really need this help. Thank you again so much for doing this. I have been MIA the past 2 weeks with out of the country company staying with me but I am back now and my sewing machine is calling me :)

19. Melissa says

I learned to “sew” in the 7th grade too. I just recently became a stay at home mom and bought a sewing machine a couple months ago and now I all I can think about is sewing! It keeps me up some nights. I started selling my items on Etsy and to friends and family as gifts they needed to give. I’m thinking of starting a blog. You have awesome ideas and I can’t wait to learn from someone other than myself. (I have two seam rippers as well and they both get used quite frequently) :o)

20. Kari says

Hey, art is not supposed to be perfect. I figure sewing is an art form that is also useful.
    I am excited to start the class tomorrow and learn this stuff. The supplies for the first two projects are ready to go and so am I. :)

21. Kayla says

I am very excited to have found your class, and just in time! Thank you, so very much, for taking your time to compile this. I have been counting down the days and I can’t hardly wait!

22. Amber S says

Already made (and taken apart) a few things since getting my machine last month. Loving it so far. Can’t wait to take part in this adventure.

Very much looking forward to Monday. And that pledge is so totally what I need right now. Not just for sewing but also for my writing (fledgling writer over here). Bookmarking this post.

24. Terri says

Hi am looking forward to this. I dabble in sewing but have yet to make anything more adventuresome than some pillows and dog beds. And who am I kidding? A dog bed is just a VERY BIG pillow! This is an awesome idea.

25. Heather74 says

I’ve been sewing for as long as I can remember. I’m not a seamstress or professional by any means but I do enjoy sewing for my friends and family whenever I can. I am always trying to improve my skills and look for projects that are fun and interesting. I am the mother of 2 and I find it so enjoyable to sew for my babies.

Both of my girls (ages 6 and almost 4) love to sit in my lap at my machine and “sew”. Santa brought my 6 year old her very own small sewing machine for Christmas. I came across your blog at the perfect time (yay Pinterest). My oldest and I are going on this journey together. I hope we both learn a thing or two about sewing and working together.

26. Mary says

Really excited about this series! Thanks for this post – it’s definitely something I will have to keep referring to, lol, as I tend to be one of those perfectionists when I’m crafting. ;)

27. Gretchen says

I have read and agree! I am looking forward to learning all you have to teach! I have done some sewing and quilting but most have been basics so this is going to be fun and exciting to learn more. I just want to thank you so much for this opportunity to work with you online and taking the time to teach more useful skills. Sewing we will go and look forward to it!

Ready! Looking sew forward to overcoming fear of sewing failures. I love your positivity and seams like this group will get along just fine!

29. April says

I agree! I am excited to do this. Thank you for trying something that fits for the people who don’t have a conventional schedule.

30. Sharon Joyner says

Morning just finished my hand towels (instead of burp cloths) was wondering if we are suppose to post pictures anywhere? Was looking for a flickr group but did not see one. Thank you have a great day!

My sewing machine will be here tomorrow! I need something like this to remind myself to be patient and cut myself some slack when I’m first starting out. Thank you for all of the tutorials and information! It makes me a little less nervous about starting out with a brand new skill.

32. Sherrikayy says

Omgosh…..I just found this site and am soooo excited. I can sew a straight line to make a table runner or something like that, but that is it. I know I am behind, but can’t wait to get started. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for starting this project!!

33. Carmina says

I’m a bit late but I’m ready. I’m total novice and I am starting an evening course on the April so I need all the advice and practice I can get :-). Thank you Amber for these amazing tutorials.

34. Chris says

I have pledged too and I am ready to start as well. Plan on looking for some fabric tomorrow so I can sit and start Tuesday!

Do you have a you tube channel too?

35. Donna Douglas says

I love your pledge and I have clicked on to join your group on Facebook. I have done sewing in the past but really want to get back into it relearn the basic’s and even start using zips. I have been looking at many sewing blogs over the last few days and your’s really is the best one that I have seen so far.

36. kathleen babbitt says

I have been sewing since i was 16 and now i’m almost a senior citizen! closer than I want to tell lol I love to sew and do needlework but I still keep my seam ripper close by! when people exclaim over the things i have made and say I could never do that. I am reminded of my first years of sewing and i reply you didn’t see my trash can in the early years. lol just keep at it and it is such a rewarding hobby!

37. June Hearn says

I am sssooooo excited about this class!! I have a sewing machine, embroidery machine, AND a serger! I know nothing about ANY of them. I’m beginning to do little things on my sewing machine, but get very frustrated because it seams :) like everything I try to make comes out all willy wonka and no one can figure out what it is. Hopefully with these sewing classes, I can make something that identifiable!

38. Chanreka Leftridge says

Thank you for honesty ! I took the pledge and cant wait to get sewing. I will keep you posted on my progress!

Sincerely, A creative military wife!

• June Hearn says

I am SSOOOOO excited about this “Learning to Sew” class! I have been wanting to learn how to sew for so long. I have a sewing machine, serger, and embroidery machine…. I don’t know how to use ANY of them!! (I know it is sad- it felt sad just to say it!) :) I just love you are teaching a class. In two weeks I start a serger class, so all I need is an embroidery machine jeanie to help me learn how to do that computer attached machine! Thanks again for the class and I look so forward to being involved in it!

39. Julia says

I for the first time EVER turned a sewing machine on! It took me about 40 minutes to get it up and running thanks to the wonderful world of internet and youtube videos. I even sewed a little. No straight lines, except for once on accident. My machine ate a pin because I forgot I used one. My upper thread and bobbin threads are not finishing on the same side. Meaning- both sides have a thread hanging off of them; I’m not thinking that’s right… but I could be wrong.

But, I had a blast! It was a personal triumph!

40. Penelope says

Hi, Amber. I am 60, and have always wanted to learn to sew. This Wednesday I am taking a basic sewing class at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I just stumbled on your Pin about buying fabric, which was SO informative, I wanted to see the rest of the series. After reading just the Sewing Pledge, I am hooked – as a reforming perfectionist, I really needed that :). I am not a person who learns things easily, so thanks for a great series I can use when I am home and can’t remember anything I learned in class. Glad I found you, and best wishes for 2014.

41. Kristen Ruby says

I’m new to sewing (just received my first sewing machine for Christmas!). I made my first pillow last week (and yes, there were mistakes). My husband and I were impressed and now I have the desire to tackle more difficult projects. I found your site and can’t wait to work on some of your projects…the messenger bag looks really cute (great fabrics, too!). Thanks for being here for us beginners!

42. Maggie says

I. Love. You. So. Much. That’s all I wanted to say.
    Oh that and also: thank you so much, you’re amazing!

43. Vee says

Hi Amber :-)
    Somehow i fell in love with sewing and i accidentally found your site. Its really Awesome!
    i just turned 21 on feb and i want to immerse myself in sewing.
    Your truly a wonderful teacher :-)

cheers,
    Vee

p.s i am a chocoholic!

44. Liz says

Hi Amber,

First off…I AGREE!!!! 2nd OMG I’m so glad I found your blog. I am learning to sew and your blog is a God send! I found my mom’s old sewing machine in the basement, cleaned it and am bound and determined to learn how to use this thing! :) SO EXCITED!!!!!

Liz

45. Jessica says

Hello there!
    So I recently got a sewing machine at a garage sale and my grandma swear it’s in great condition which is great because being 16 I cat really afford a brand new one. I really want to learn to make things, mostly outfits and I really liked the messenger bag that you have in the challenge thing. But my schedule is busy and so is my grandmas so she can’t really teach me everything unless I want it to take forever but now I can learn and then surprise her!
    I’m extremely happy I found your site!
    Jess