Dragon Hooded Towel Tutorial

In my baby’s room I have 4 cute little cartoonish animal pictures. When I sit and rock him I look at those pictures and it was one of those pictures that gave me the inspiration for this towel. It’s a cute and quirky Dragon Hooded Towel:Dragontowelpatternandtutorial

Howtosewadinosaurtowel

Is he a dinosaur or is he a dragon? Well, he could be either, but I’ll give you a clue (if the post title wasn’t enough). Mine breathes fire. But you want to call it a dino? He (or she) could be that too.

I am so happy with how this hooded towel turned out. I started out making him not quite sure what I was going to do, but the end result is great! I think this is my favorite hooded towel so far.

Dragon Hooded Towel Tutorial:

• 1 bath towel in any color
  • 1 hand towel in the same color
  • 1 hand towel in an accent color
  • Small amounts of white and black fabric and iron on transfer paper

Because I have done several hooded towel posts already, I am not going to go into great detail about all of this. The frog towel post has a lot of detail about how to do all of this, so refer to that if you need the help.

But here’s a rundown. Start out by cutting your hand towel in half. Fold the finished edge of 1 piece in about 3-4 inches and sew it in place. Turn it over and work on the back of that.

Cut out your eyes and put iron on paper on the back of them. Iron them in place where you want them to go and then use a tight zig zag applique stitch to sew them in place:

Dinosaurtowelpattern

Now use the other half of your hand towel to cut out a snout. It’s basically just a circle cut in half. Then I used felt to cut out a bunch of teeth. Place your teeth between the two halves of the circle facing inward.

Dragontowels

Put your top piece in place and sew around the snout leaving the straight edge open. Turn it right side out. Now place your snout where you want it (just below the eyes) on your towel and run a tight zig zag stitch across the straight edge. (BUT-if you want him to breathe fire, put some fire under there before you stitch:

Firebreathingdragontowel

When you stitch it should catch your fire and hold it in place. If it doesn’t just stitch it on.

To make the spikes use your accent color and cut out triangles. I did 4 spikes so I needed 8 triangles:

Howtomakeahoodedbathtowelforbaby

Now sew two sides of your triangles and turn them right side out.

For the spike on the top of the towel I cut a small slit (about 2-3 inches) above the eyes on my dragon, wedged the spike down in there and then sewed it closed from the underside.

Hoodedbathtoweltutorial

Then, to do the other three, simply fold your towel in half so that the face is on the inside. Line your spikes up so they are facing inside just like you did with the teeth before. Do a zigzag down the towel. This will both from the hood and sew your spikes in place:

Babyhoodedtowels

Turn your hood right side out and you should have a cute little dinosaur or dragon face looking back at you! Roar!

Hooded towel for toddlers

To attach the hood to the towel simple center it on the towel and do a zigzag stitch to hold it in place. To see how I do it check out the frog again.

Isn’t he is cute?

Dinosaur hooded towel forbaby tutorial

And the dragon is too. Hee hee!

One more:

Dinosaurhoodedtowelfortoddlers

If you like this guy you need to check out is friends!

Comments

These are so cute. My niece and nephew would love them; especially the angry birds. Well maybe it’s me that really likes the angry birds, but they really are all cute!

This is fabulous. You are very clever. I have just discovered your inspiring blog and become a follower on Facebook. I would love it if you visited my blog and if you like it become a follower of my art and craft activities with my kids – http:/lpcrafts.blogspot.com.au

You already know how much I love this adorable dragon towel, but I wanted to thank you for sharing at my Throwback Thursday party. I’d love to see you again this week :)

4. Trish says

I love your hooded towels & have made several for my toddler, but now her teenage cousins want them too….how do I alter the pattern to fit a teenager? Should I use a whole hand towel?

Oh my..thanks 2 you. i’ve been thinking to make one for my little man…
    till i make 1..then i connect you back…!!!
    thanks again dear!

You know, I gave that as a gift so I don’t know for sure. I know felt can get kind of pilly so you can definitely use something else if you want.

6. robin says

I can’t find the link for theattern pieces dragon pattern piecs and some of the other towel patterns. Thank you! they are darling!

I didn’t do pattern pieces on all of them because I thought people could do it without. I can create them tough if needed?

Thank you so much for this tutorial!! I have 2 kids and I know they’d love to have a dragon hooded towel, I mean so would I!! I have included this in my Sunday Shares post for useful sites at http://www.doomestic.com Thank you again!! I can’t wait to make some of these :)

8. Shell says

I’ve just finished making this! Absolutely lived it! Thank you so much for sharing! It was my first ever project on the sewing machine! Your directions made it so easy to make! Thanks again :-)

9. Mandy says

Amber just love the dragon towel and want to make it for my soon to be! I am having trouble with getting the pattern. I’m not real good at the computer. I have already uploaded 2 new toolbars I do not want. Please help a dumbie on the computer!!

10. Becca Preator says

Thanks so much for posting this tutorial. I had never made one before and the instructions were easy to follow and your ideas saved my brain from thinking too much. I made a friends new baby the dragon and I just know that she will love it. It turned out sooo cute. Thanks!

11. B says

Just finished this for my baby boy!! I love it! I did a couple more spikes going down the back. Turned out great! I want to make more! I just found my new baby shower gift.thank you for putting these all together!

Trackbacks