This Homemade Mac and Cheese recipe is quick and easy and guess what? ALL of my kids will eat it. ALL of them. I can say that about maybe 3 dinners that we have in our home. And one of those is pancakes. So yes, it’s a crowd pleaser. And it’s easy to make too!
It’s a good dinner when you don’t have a lot of time because it doesn’t take very long to make. It’s also a good one to take to people because kids love it and it travels easy.
Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe:
- 2 cups uncooked elbow mac noodles
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 C sour cream
- 1 can Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 to 1½ C shredded cheese (Cheddar, Colby Jack, whatever you prefer)
- Breadcrumbs (optional)
- Boil water in a pan on the stove.
- Pour in your elbow mac and cook until soft.
- Drain mac and return it to the pan.
- Add stick of butter and return it to the warm stove and stir butter in until it melts.
- Add sour cream and soup and stir until bubbly and warm.
- Add about 1 C of cheese, maybe a little less.
- Stir cheese until melted in.
- Put it all in a casserole dish, top with a little more cheese and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Pop it in the oven at about 350 to warm just a little. (Really, you can skip this step if you are ready to eat right away.)
It’s really that easy. I usually serve it with warm rolls as well and a green salad goes perfectly too!