Ninjago Pillow & Basic Pillow Case Tutorial

I love doing things to make my little boys’ dreams come true and this was one of those things. A birthday gift for my little guy that blew his mind. Actually, one of my other sons came up with the idea for this. Some of you are going to love this (or at least your sons are) and others of you are going to have no idea what this even is. In my family, this is a bit of an obsession. It’s a Ninjago Pillow!

Ninjago Pillowcase Pattern

Yes, that’s a Lego Ninjago character. Jay to be exact. Ninjago is Lego’s latest and greatest (or do they have a new one by now?) and it has been very near and dear to several of my children’s hearts in the last year.

For my 4 year old’s birthday back in January I decided to make him a Ninjago pillowcase, which he loved, so I thought I might as well share my idea with the Ninjago loving world.

Very easy to make and you could do any color for any of the ninjas.

Ninjago Pillow Tutorial:

• 1 yard of fabric in background color
  • Small amounts of yellow, white and black fabric

Start out by cutting your fabric for the pillowcase. See How to Make a Pillowcase below.

Using your pattern pieces, you need 1 yellow mask part, 2 white eyes, 2 black eyes and two eyebrows.

Iron your pieces onto the iron on transfer paper and then iron them in place on your pillowcase. To figure out where you want these, fold your large piece of fabric for the pillowcase in half and center them on one half. Iron them in place and then unfold the fabric to do your applique.

Do a tight zig zag stitch around each piece of the face. I also added the under eye shadow by just continuing my zig zag stitch on a little farther.

Sew the pillowcase together on the bottom and one side. Fold the top down about 3 inches and press, then again 3 more inches and press again. Sew around the top to finish the pillowcase and you are done. (These instructions are also below.)

How to Make a Pillowcase:

• About 1 yard of fabric

Cut your fabric into 1 large piece that is 40″ by 38″ big.

Fold the fabric in half so that right sides are together and it is now 20″ by 38.”

Sew a straight stitch up one of the short ( 20″ wide) sides and then up the long side.

Then fold the fabric down a the top of the unsewn side about 3 inches and then about 3 inches again. This will form the top hem of the pillowcase.

Stitch all the way around the hem. Then turn it all right side out and you are done.

Like fun sewing projects for boys? Try these as well:

Superhero Cape Pattern and Tutorial:

Superhero Cape Pattern and Tutorial

Monster Stuffed Animal:

Monsterstuffedanimalpattern

Things to Sew for Boys:

25 Things to Sew for Boys

Comments

Adorable. I’m going to pin this and come back later so my oldest doesn’t see this and beg for his room theme to change—again!

Awesome! My son loves Ninjago. He has a plain black t-shirt I’ve wanted to do something with for quite a while and this looks perfect for it! Thanks for sharing.

3. Marci says

So adorable & COOL, my grandson will love them. I’m sure we’ll have one of each color & I think may adapt it for a valance for curtains made from the Ninjago sheets.

4. Meghan says

So cute would love to make these for my boys – the link to the pattern is coming up not found :( Could you e-mail them to me?

Thanks – Love your site!

5. Eileen Viele says

OK, so I don’t want to make a pillowcase, but I was looking for an APRON, as my son LOVES to COOK (10 yrs old) AND Loves NINJAGO….and THIS, is just perfect! thank you!!

6. Lacie says

I LOVE this idea!! It is adorable! How talented you are! I purchased my son a Ninjago comforter for Christmas, and I was just complaining about how expensive the sheets were! You have solved my problem. Thank you so much for sharing this terrific idea!!

My son LOVES ninjago! My other son thought this was totally cool–so you get 2 “cool” votes from my boys!

My girls made the little guy a ninjago cake for his birthday–he was so excited.

I’m going to try this–TOMORROW.

Be Blessed.

8. Christa says

Hi! I stumbled across this on Pinterest and just had to come thank you personally for the idea! I plan to make this for my boys for Christmas. They will be so happy!! Thank you for sharing, and what a great idea!

Great website. Lots of helpful info here. I am sending it to
    several buddies ans also sharing in delicious.

And certainly, thank you on your sweat!

10. Nat says

this is great. I’ve used your template on two “Lloyd” pencil cases I’ve made for my 2 Ninjago loving boys for Xmas. thanks!

11. Severine says

Hi!
    Next June, Max, my last son, will be 3.
    He is really fond of Ninjago… he is going to be crazy about that ninjago pillow case!

Thanks for this sharing!