It’s no secret to anyone that knows me that I love peanut butter and chocolate. It’s actually always been a fear of mine that I would end up with a kid with a severe peanut allergy bad enough that we would have to ban peanuts from our house. What would we do then?!?! Luckily that hasn’t happened so far.(I feel for those of you who have had to do that.)
I also like to bake. A lot. So, put those two together and forget about it. I have a lot of recipes that involve the PB/chocolate combo (ice cream cake, cookies…) But I wanted to try something new…my own creation of sorts.
I give you…PB & Chocolate Reese’s Filled Cupcakes. Guess what? You can’t see it here, but there’s a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup inside!
The basic cupcake recipe on this can’t be beat. I recently discovered it (tweaked it only slightly) and have been using it for cakes and cupcakes of all varieties ever since. It’s perfect and it’s easy. To me it’s better than made from scratch. Here it is:
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Cupcake Recipe:
- 1 Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1 box (5.9 oz) chocolate pudding
- 1 C sour cream (I use low fat)
- 1 C oil (just made up for that low fat huh?)
- 4 eggs
- ½ C water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of those ingredients with a mixer. This batter will be quite thick-much thicker than typical cake batter. Scoop into 24 cupcake paper lined muffin tins.
- Unwrap mini Reese’s, push one in to each cupcake batter portion.
- Bake for 18 minutes. I don’t bake them a minute longer than that. At 18 minutes they are just barely done. I like them very soft and moist. If yours don’t appear done let them go a minute or two longer but try to pull them out when they are barely done.
Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
4 cups powdered sugar
5 teaspoons milk
I usually just use a ziploc bag to pipe the frosting on because I like to be able to throw it away when I am done. Fill the bag, snip a corner off and pipe. I also melted some chocolate chips, threw in some butter and then drizzled a little chocolate on top.
Stick a Reese’s on top for extra flair. Sure to be a crowd pleaser.