Diaper and Wipes Case Tutorial

This project came from two desires melded into one.

I have loved this fabric for a while-the Dinosaurs one (and then I found that cute green polkadot to match) and wanted to make something with it:

And desire 2:
For a long time with my other kiddos I carried a store bought diaper carrier that held 2-3 diapers and one of those white plastic wipe containers-you know the ones I mean? It was a very handy way to carry diapering supplies in my diaper bag. Now I’ve got a diaper and wipes case tutorial for you.

Diaper clutch pattern and tutorial

Then we got a membership to Costco. And I started buying wipes there. And their wipes come in a huge blue package that is WAY too big to fit into the diaper carrier and also impossible to get just a nice pile of wipes out of without cutting it open, so I started just stuffing diapers and wipes into my diaper bag and it was squished and hard to find and not very convenient.

So, I took this adorable fabric and made a Costco wipe size Diaper and Wipe Carrier!

Baby Diaper and Wipe Holder Pattern

SOOOO easy. Takes like 20 minutes, you can use 2 fat quarters or 1/4 yard of fabric of 2 fabrics (read, not very expensive to make) and it turned out so great! It would also make a really good baby shower gift. Oooh, maybe even with some matching burp cloths!

So, here’s how.

Diaper and Wipes Case Tutorial: (Update-I now have a version with a strap too)

1/4 yard or a little less of 2 fabrics (I used fat quarters, you could use just a normal 1/4 yard)
Velcro

Diaper and Wipes Carrier Pattern Pieces

Print your pattern. You need two copies of the large piece. Cut and tape one of those large pieces to the flap piece to form the back piece. The leftover piece is your front piece.

Cut out 1 front and 1 back piece in each fabric for a total of 4 pieces.

Pin your velcro (about a one inch piece) in place. One piece goes on the front part of the main fabric. Just center it about 3 inches down from the top:

Diaper Clutch Pattern
The other piece of Velcro goes on the top flap part of the back piece on the inside fabric, centered on the fabric about 1 inch from the top.

Now put right sides together on both pieces and sew them together around the sides and bottom:

How to make a diaper clutch

**For further clarification I am adding in some more photos at this point. That’s why there a new and different fabric in these pictures.

Now, turn your inside fabric right side out and stick it down into the outside fabric, so that right sides are touching.

Turn inner fabric right side out:

Put the inner fabric into the outer fabric.

Flip your fabric over and begin sewing the 2 pieces of the flap where shown in this photo:

Here it is in my sewing machine just as I am starting to sew:

Sew down that side until you get to the part where the front and back piece join across the middle. Sew across those two making sure that you are only sewing the front and not the back. (So you should be sewing 2 pieces of fabric, not 4.) Then sew across the middle and up the other side.

You are leaving the top of the flap open so that you can turn it there:

Turn it right side out. First reach in and pull out the inner fabric:

Then turn your outer fabric:

Now tuck your inner fabric down into the outer part:

Until it is all inside like this:

Push out all the corners and make it nice and smooth and then press it flat.

Fold the top opening under and top stitch it shut:

Now press the whole bag nice and flat. And you’re done!

Baby Gift Tutorial
Diaper Carrier Pattern

Works perfectly to fit my pack of Costco wipes and several diapers inside:

Diaper and Wipes Carrier

Love it!

Total time: 20 minutes
Total Cost: About $5

Comments

Love this tutorial!!! Just pinned it and would love to use for a thnxpinterest.com future project if i can ever get my sewing maching unpacked and working! Thnx for the great tips!

I love this fabric too! Great idea… I need to make one of these! :) So excited to hear of our mutual friend, the Westovers! Your blog is full of inspiration! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

I just made one. I want to post it to my blog with a link back to your tutorial, but I have to wait, I don’t want my friend to see it. :)

OMG, how cute :-) Enjoying your site so I’m nominating you for my Illuminating Blogger Award for informative, illuminating blog content. I know not everyone participates in blog awards but I hope you’ll at least check it out because it’s a great way to discover new blogs and meet new web friends. If you’re interested in participating, you can check out the details at my site … http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award/ … Either way, hope you’re having a great Independence Day!

5. Jeanny says

Loved it! I just made one to match the fabrics of my DIY baby wraps! Thank you so much for the great tutorial! Easy to follow and wonderful idea to store my Costco wet wipes and diapers ;)

Great tutorial! I just made one with 2 FQs in a snorkeling frog pattern. So cute! Looking forward to giving it to my sister. Gotta go buy some wipes to put in it first!

7. kaye says

THANK YOU! I am excited to attempt this as a “first” real sewing project! Where did you find the ADORABLE fabric?! I love it! Thank yo again for your directions! Can’t wait to try it out!

8. Nikki says

Quick question. I made one of these and loved it. Several of my friends liked it to, but everyone was asking if you could put a strap on it. I have just started sewing (I am taking your sewing class online) and I don’t know how to add a strap. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your time. I am learning bunches in your class.

9. Jenn says

I found your blog through Pinterest and have joined up to your Learn to Sew Series!! I love that I was able to make this in an hour (new sewer!!) and it turned out great!!! You have inspired me to try any project I come across!! Thanks!!!!

10. Siara says

Thank you for this great tutorial!! I appreciate it. Although I’m a beginner, this was super simple!

11. Renita says

This is so cute however, Im not sure about the cutting pieces. do I cut 2 of the bottoms pieces and 2 of the top and bottom pieces taped together. total of 4 pieces.

12. Tiffany Grace says

Love this! Im just beginning but this looks so easy and i think it would fit a couple cloth dipes. Do you happen to have a tutuorial for an easy changing pad?

13. Kelly says

I love this tutorial, but I am having a bit of trouble with “holes” in my corners.. any tips? (If you’re not sure where/what I mean, I can try to upload a picture)… Thanks!

14. Amy says

Oops! I clicked on print pattern pieces and the link says it has been deleted or removed or there is a problem. Can you email me the pattern or give me the measurements? I’m dying to try this! Genius!

15. Debbie Reik says

Can you give me the approximate measurements of the finished product? I sewed one up and mine sure looks a lot wider than the one on the tutorial. Thanks!

16. Stacey says

Hi Amber -

When you sew down the side, across the middle, and up the other side are you doing it as one continuous seam and are you sewing from the back….which it looks like in the pictures? If so, how do you know when you’ve gotten to the middle point and ensure you’re only sewing 2 layers? Mine turned out really cute, but I struggled with that step. I sewed from the front and did three separate seams. Like someone else that commented, it was hard not to have holes in the corners.

Also, I top stitched the whole bag, which really changes the look! Perhaps makes it look a little more trendy.

Thanks!

17. Tavette says

I just commented on Tutorial #2 (with strap) so my same comments are for this version.

One thing I forgot to mention was to please write PLACE ON FOLD on the pattern pieces for the new seamstresses. Sure enough – Renita (post from July) was a bit confused. What comes naturally (knowing about the fold) to us long time sewers is not yet second nature to newbees.

Thanks again for your wonderful tutorials and the oh-so-helpful photos. The photos take a lot of time for you to do, but are so helpful and much appreciated so thanks for doing them.

• Alana says

I was just about to ask about this! So glad I read this! I’m a total newbie, staring at the pattern thinking “this really only looks like HALF of the pouch! What is going on?!” The thought occurred to me to put it on a fold, but then I figured it would be written on there if that’s what I was supposed to do. Thank you for telling me it’s assumed and not necessarily written sometimes!

• Kellie says

Yes, thank you!! I have looked at this for way too long thinking what is wrong with my brain and why does this only look like half. I figured it was just because I’m 41+ weeks pregnant and sleep deprived!

18. Heidi says

Happy New Year! Thank you so much for sharing this. I’m not the sharpest needle in the machine and your photos and descriptions made this project so easy to throw together. It will make a great “little something extra” to go with a baby gift.

19. Amber T. says

Okay, I am a newbie… and I am really wanting to make this, but I am having some issues. I have two fat quarters of two different fabrics. Once I place the back side pattern on the fold of my quarter, I am realizing I do not have enough fold left over nor can I maneuver the fabric enough to have enough fold for the front piece of the fabric on this same print. What am I doing wrong? Do I really need 4 quarters total? Thanks!

Hmmmm, I feel like it was supposed to work with fat quarters but maybe I am nuts! Did you get it to work? I will have to test it out again.

• Amber T. says

I figured it out! A fat quarter folds four times and I was folding it in half instead of only a quater, does that make sense? This was my first sewing project so it took me a bit too catch on but I finally figured it out and it came out perfect and boosted my confidence! Thanks for sharing!!

20. Kris says

Im very new to sewing and having a difficult time figuring out the pattern! can you give me exact dimensions or tell me how to place the pattern! I can sew I just have issues with patterns:(

Fold the fabric in half and then place the pattern on the crease in your fabric. Does that make sense? I will update this tutorial soon with better pics and instructions!

21. Samantha says

Thanks for this pattern! I was wondering what your seam allowance is? I want to make sure it can fit a big package of wipes. Thanks!

22. Candias Chalker says

Just made this and the burp cloths or a baby gift but boy did I have a hard time getting the point right where the side and the front meet…but tweaked with it for a while and it looks great! Thanks for the pattern, guess I will make another one and try to perfect that corner point…

23. Nicole says

Thank you so much for the awesome tutorial! This is the first actual project that I have done on my own, and I was able to do it without many problems at all.